A New Haven Connecticut tragic home invasion attack left a father beaten and his entire family dead. He was the only surviving witness to the brutal rapes and murders of his wife and two daughters. Cases of this type to this goes to show that truly sick individuals are out there and they are capable of committing such heinous criminal acts.
We should not be paralyzed with fear, or be so terrorized though that we think about it every single moment. Sleeping with a shot gun and being paranoid is not the answer. Instead we simply need to remain aware and be as best prepared as possible in case of a home invasion. Basic precautionary steps are often the best solution for mitigating these types of crimes:
• Always lock all doors, windows and garages.
An oldie but a goodie and just because you live in a safe neighborhood doesn’t mean you should always make this a habit
• Invest in home lighting equipment which automatically turn on when you get close to your home Remember that lights are a bad guys enemy so the more lit up your home is the better. Just don’t go overboard to the point that your home can be spotted in space
• Install solid core doors, heavy duty locks and security systems Some people may have the cheap hollow doors, which can be kicked down pretty easily
• Always use peepholes before opening the door up for anyone Be especially mindful if you are used to getting a lot of guests
• Talk to your family about a plan of action and act out a possible scenario Just like you want to do with a fire meeting, talk about an escape route If escaping is too dangerous, have a designated safe room where you call for help and defend yourself if necessary